Software, File Management, and Screencasting
This week, we take a quick dive into the topics of Software, the Internet, and File Management. We also introduce the skill of Screencasting which is something that you will use several times during our course.
Specific to our overview of software, you will learn how software can be used for productivity, communication, education, and entertainment. You’ll also gain an understanding of how the computer can help you manage and organize your important files, such as documents, photos, and music.
At the end of this week, you will be able to:
- Explain the difference between application software and system software.
- Identify the different types of system software programs.
- Explain the basic functions, features, and categories of operating systems.
- Compare mobile operating systems, including iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
- Identify the different types of applications.
- Have a basic understanding of the Software Development process.
- Describe how the Internet has changed the way the world learns and communicates.
- Explain how the Internet is structured and the types of services available via the Internet.
- Use your computer's file management system to save, move, and retrieve files.
- Create a simple screencast of your computer's display.
- Read the 'Application Software chapter SIMBook in SIMnet.
- Read the 'System Software' chapter SIMBook.
- Read the 'Managing Files and Folders' chapter SIMBook.
- Visit the following resource sites:
- Complete the Screencasting Lab (#lab2-screencasting channel in Slack).
- Complete the Software Quiz.