Class Introduction and Getting Started
This week, we look at the role of information technology in today’s dynamic business environment. The development of information systems, systems analysis and design concepts, and various systems development methods. This module also describes the role of the information technology department and its people.
This week, we also look at analyzing a business case. Specifically, it is important to...
- understand business operations and requirements
- how IT projects support a company’s overall strategic plan
- how systems projects get started
- how systems analysts conduct a preliminary investigation and feasibility study
At the end of this week, you will be able to:
- Describe the impact of information technology.
- Define systems analysis and design and the role of a systems analyst.
- Define an information system and describe its components.
- Explain how to use business profiles and models.
- Explain Internet business strategies and relationships, including B2C and B2B.
- Identify various types of information systems and explain who uses them.
- Distinguish among structured analysis, object-oriented analysis, and agile methods.
- Explain the waterfall model, and how it has evolved.
- Discuss the role of the information technology department and the systems analysts who work there.
- Explain the concept of a business case and how a business case affects an IT project
- Describe the strategic planning process and why it is important to the IT team
- Explain the purpose of a mission statement
- Conduct a SWOT analysis and describe the four factors involved
- Explain how the SDLC serves as a framework for systems development
- List reasons for systems projects and factors that affect such projects
- Describe systems requests and the role of the systems review committee
- Define operational, technical, economic, and schedule feasibility
- Explain the factors that affect project priorities
- Describe the steps and the end product of a preliminary investigation
- Read the syllabus (found in the START HERE! section).
- Setup and investigate your slack.com account.
- Watch the short 'Getting Started with MindTap' video.
- Read Module (chapter) 1: Introduction to Systems Analysis and Design.
- Read Module 2: Analyzing the Business Case Module Introduction.
- Participate in Module 1 SCR Case Simulation: Introduction to Systems Analysis and Design.
- Participate in Module 2 SCR Case Simulation: Analyzing the Business Case.
- Take the Syllabus Quiz in D2L.
- Complete your Slack.com Introductory post (found in the Class Introduction module).
- Register for access to MindTap.
- Take the Unit 1 Test.
- Take the Unit 2 Test.