Managing Systems Projects and Requirements Modeling
Project management is a key component of any successful system development project. This week we look at how to plan, schedule, monitor, and report on IT projects.
Next, we look at the requirements modeling process which includes:
- gathering facts about a systems project
- preparing documentation
- creating models that will be used to design and develop the system
At the end of this week, you will be able to:
- Explain project planning, scheduling, monitoring, and reporting
- Draw a project triangle that shows the relationship among project cost, scope, and time
- Create a work breakdown structure, identify task patterns, and calculate a critical path
- Explain techniques for estimating task completion times and costs
- Describe various scheduling tools, including Gantt charts and PERT/CPM charts
- Analyze task dependencies, durations, start dates, and end dates
- Describe project management software and how it can be of assistance
- Control and manage project changes as they occur
- Discuss the importance of managing project risks
- Understand why projects sometimes fail
- Describe systems analysis phase activities
- Explain joint application development (JAD), rapid application development (RAD), and agile methods
- Use a functional decomposition diagram (FDD) to model business functions and processes
- Describe the Unified Modeling Language (UML) and create examples of UML diagrams
- List and describe system requirements, including outputs, inputs, processes, performance, and controls
- Explain the concept of scalability
- Use fact-finding techniques, including interviews, documentation review, observation, questionnaires, sampling, and research
- Define total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Conduct a successful interview
- Develop effective documentation methods to use during systems development
- Read Module 3: Managing Systems Projects.
- Participate in Module 3 SCR Case Simulation: Managing System Projects.
- Read Module 4: Requirements Modeling.
- Participate in Module 4 SCR Case Simulation: Requirements Modeling.
- Take the Unit 3 Test.
- Take the Unit 4 Test.