User Interface Design and Data Design
User interface design is the first task in the systems design phase of the SDLC. Designing the interface is extremely important because everyone wants a system that is easy to learn and use.
After discussing the user interface, human-computer interaction, and interface design rules, the analyst must look at the output, data security and control issues, prototyping, and the next steps in the systems design process.
During the systems analysis phase, a logical model of the system was created. Next, the analyst must look at how data will be organized, stored, and managed. These are important issues that affect data quality and consistency.
Understanding data design concepts is essential for the analyst to design the databases used to store, edit, retrieve data of the designed system.
At the end of this week, you will be able to:
Explain file-oriented systems and how they differ from database management systems
Explain data design terminology, including entities, fields, common fields, records, files, tables, and key fields
Describe data relationships, draw an entity-relationship diagram, define cardinality, and use cardinality notation
Explain the concept of normalization
Explain the importance of codes and describe various coding schemes
Explain data warehousing and data mining
Differentiate between logical and physical storage and records
Explain data control measures
- Explain the concept of user interface design and human-computer interaction, including basic principles of user-centered design
- Explain how experienced interface designers perform their tasks
- Describe rules for successful interface design
- Discuss input and output technology issues
- Design effective source documents and forms
- Explain printed output guidelines
- Describe output and input controls and security
- Explain modular design and prototyping techniques
- Read Module 8: User Interface Design.
- Participate in Module 8 SCR Case Simulation: User Interface Design.
- Read Module 9: Data Design.
- Participate in Module 9 SCR Case Simulation: Data Design.
- Visit the following resource links specific to AirTable:
- Take the Unit 8 Test.
- Take the Unit 9 Test.