System Architecture and Managing Systems Implementation
During implementation, the system design specification serves as a blueprint for developing the new system. The initial task is application development, which requires systems analysts and programmers to work together to construct the necessary programs and code modules. Before a changeover, the system must be tested and documented carefully, users must be trained, and existing data must be converted. After the new system is operational, a formal evaluation of the results takes place as part of a final report to management.
At the end of this week, you will be able to:
- Provide a checklist of issues to consider when selecting a system architecture
- Trace the evolution of system architecture from mainframes to current designs
- Explain client/server architecture, including tiers, cost-benefit issues, and performance
- Compare in-house ecommerce development with packaged solutions and service providers
- Discuss the impact of cloud computing and Web 2.0
- Define network topology, including hierarchical, bus, ring, star, and mesh models
- Describe wireless networking, including wireless standards, topologies, and trends
- Describe the system design specification
- Explain the importance of software quality assurance and software engineering
- Describe application development using structured, object-oriented, and agile methods
- Draw a structure chart showing top-down design, modular design, cohesion, and coupling
- Explain the coding process
- Explain unit, integration, and system testing
- Differentiate between program, system, operations, and user documentation
- List the main steps in system installation and evaluation
- Develop training plans for various user groups, compare in-house and vendor training options, and describe effective training techniques
- Describe data conversion and changeover methods
- Explain post-implementation evaluation and the final report to management
- Read Module 10: System Architecture.
- Participate in Module 10 SCR Case Simulation: System Architecture.
- Read Module 11: Managing Systems Implementation.
- Participate in Module 11 SCR Case Simulation: Managing Systems Implementation.
- Take the Unit 10 Test.
- Take the Unit 11 Test.