Week 1 - SIMnet, Windows 10, MS Office, and Creating and Editing Workbooks (Ch1)
Now that you have started to build some familiarity with our course per our syllabus and making your introductions, we are ready to register and access the SIMnet system. From there we begin by looking at Microsoft Office 2016 and then work through Chapter 1 of Microsoft Excel 2016. Excel is spreadsheet software for creating an electronic workbook. A workbook consists of rows and columns used to organize data, perform calculations, print reports, and build charts. With Excel, you can create simple to complex personal or business workbooks. This chapter presents basic procedures for creating and editing an Excel workbook.
At the end of this week, you will be able to:
- Register and Login to SIMnet.
- Recognize key features of Windows 10.
- Use the basic features of Office 2016 and navigate the Office 2016 working environment.
- Create, save, close, and open Office files.
- Customize the view and display size in Office applications and work with multiple Office files.
- Print, share, and customize Office files.
- Use the Ribbon, tabs, groups, dialog boxes, task panes, galleries, and the Quick Access toolbar of any Office application.
- Use context menus, mini toolbars, keyboard shortcuts, and function keys in Office applications.
- Organize and customize Windows folders and Office files.
- Create, save, and open an Excel workbook.
- Enter and edit labels and values in a worksheet.
- Use the SUM function to build a simple formula.
- Format a worksheet with font attributes, borders, fill, cell styles, and themes.
- Modify columns and rows in a worksheet.
- Insert, delete, and move worksheets in a workbook.
- Modify the appearance of a workbook by adjusting zoom size, changing views, and freezing panes.
- Review and prepare a workbook for final distribution by spell checking, setting properties, and adjusting page setup options.
- Read ‘Intro to Windows 10, Office 2016, and File Management’ Chapter (SIMBook) in SIMnet.
- Read Excel Chapter 1 (SIMBook) in SIMnet.
- Complete the end-of-chapter questions to check your knowledge (you will not be required to submit these).
- Register for access to the SIMnet system.
- In SIMnet, complete ‘Intro to Windows 10…’ Chapter SIMBook Let Me Try in-reading tasks.
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 1 SIMBook Let Me Try in-reading tasks.
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 1 SIMpath.
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 1 SIMnet Project 1-3.
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 1 SIMnet Project 1-6.