Week 2 - Working with Formulas and Functions (Ch2)
With its capabilities in mathematical, scientific, engineering, and other calculations, Excel is a valuable tool for business, government, education, and you. You can use Excel to create a simple addition formula or a sophisticated calculation with layers of arithmetic. In this chapter, you learn how to build a basic formula and how to use mathematical rules. You also explore Excel function categories.
We also take a quick look at the original spreadsheet software, VisiCalc. Some even consider this the first "killer app" before that was even a known term.
At the end of this week, you will be able to:
- Build and edit basic formulas.
- Set mathematical order of operations in a formula.
- Use absolute, mixed, relative, and 3D references in a formula.
- Use formula auditing tools in a worksheet.
- Work with Statistical and Date & Time functions.
- Work with functions from the Financial, Logical, and Lookup & Reference categories.
- Build functions from the Math & Trig category.
- Explain how spreadsheet software was originally envisioned and created
- Watch the Awesome Video(s) to help prepare for our week's activities.
- Check out the informational items for some in-depth specifics.
- Read Excel Ch 2 (SIMBook) in SIMnet.
- Complete the end-of-chapter questions to check your knowledge (you are not required to submit these).
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 2 SIMBook Let Me Try in-reading tasks.
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 2 SIMpath.
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 2 SIMnet Project 2-3.
- In SIMnet, complete Excel Ch 2 SIMnet Project 2-5.
- In Slack, participate in the #before-excel channel discussion.